June Upshaw's train and race blog

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Mental toughness and clock changes

ok. Its Thursday, I didn't blog the race. I lost. But got third. Don't want to talk about it. HA! so there. MY god it was the first time I got lapped EVER in a race by the cat 3 men's field.

It gets dark way too early now that we changed the clock. WHY can't they change it the OTHER way and get MORE light at nite so we can play?? Stupid laws. hmmpfh. What were they thinking?
I grew up in Lafayette Indiana and We NEVER CHANGED OUR CLOCKS!
Cuz...... we just didn't and I don't know why.

TIME.

I decided to just get out on my lunch hour (no blogging!) and ride my bike! It was soo freaking nice out this week. Well. Except today its windy howling rain and lightening.

Truth is in the training, right? But wow..I just have trouble with the whole mental toughness thing. Mental Toughness. Training inside is all about mental toughness. Since I am having a tough time finding the time to train outside I have to train inside either before work or after. I don't get home sometimes till 6 pm!
I was getting grumpy about training indoors all the time. I need a butt to follow! damn it.

Hank gave me a good talking-to a couple weeks ago and it helped. I wish I could remember all he said but the most important thing is that I can't give up. FIGHT! Its ALL in my head and I can talk myself out of this slump if I want it bad enough. FOCUS. FIGHT!!! FIGHT!!!

ok. Sometimes when I am driving home I see the long sweepy grass that goes along the highway. I always dreamed of a trail being on it. Its still a little light out and I wish I could just ride home. WOuldnt that be fun to bike along the highway or any road for that matter, on a dirt trail or a nice smooth bike lane? safely away from the road. yeah. well. That will never happen.

It really really aches at me when I pass the Gibson Farms. ((home of the muddy buddy) GOD I wish I could stop and just train there! Gracefully sweeping country side with hills and grassy trails. Wouldn't it be the GREATEST place to have a huge, long, blistering tough endurance cyclo- cross race at? WOW. Big hills, long fields, grass, mud. Ton's of space.

Hey..that reminds me. THere is a REALLY REALLY amazingly hilarious and fun 5K run there every year about this time. Its coming up Dec. 7th at 10 am. If you like to run cross country, you have to this race! I know our championships are the same weekend. same day. Bummer. Oh well. It is truly a fun event and a family one at that! old shoes and clothes though, the mud can rip your shoes off sometimes. ANd there are hills and a creek that you have to run thru. brrrrrrr. Fun costumes. Fun people. Family fun too! (if your family likes to run).

https://www.signmeup.com/site/reg/register.aspx?fid=MF2V9K7


But anyway, back to my MENTAL TOUGHNESS .... I mean...WOW.... it is 70 degrees out and its November! I just had to ride. I went out on my lunch hour and found some areas to train at. That was nice even if a bit short, time wise. But its better than nothing. Legs are sore. good stuff. Today it is raining and getting colder by the minute. SELF MOTIVATION is the key!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the farm you mentioned is the one I am thinking about, they DID have cyclocross races there at one time! I went to at least one.

Is the farm in Gilberts? I think it's called Indian Hills farm? Are you talking about the place that also had the mt bike race that Windy City Sports used to put on for several years? I can't think of the name of it but we would go up a big ramp and through the barn each lap!

There would be a long dirt road after the start, then we would ride on a bridge over the highway (90), then turn right down a long dirt road then hit a killer hill that seemed like it went straight up, then ride down the other side of it, and so on.....

JuneBug said...

yeah, I remember that race. Big turn out too. That farm is such a great venue and even has steeple chase races for horses.