June Upshaw's train and race blog

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Summer Group Rides in Full Force


I could trash my legs doing nothing but group rides this time of year. Warmer weather, bigger groups and longer evening rides make it feel like summer is finally here!
But WOW it brings out the ''Boister'' in the Boys sometimes!!!!
I did a great ride today. The VCR ride. (Village Cycling Ride). Its a big enough ride and has an A and a B group.
Hank and I had been debating what ride to do on Sunday morning. We usually race so it was a nice treat to hang out and just ride and train. We decided to do Wayne's Team Colavita ride. We could ride and work the front and get a good workout while we get to know some of the Colavita members. It was at 7 am . I didn't have my butt ready in time to get out the door and we were not sure we'd make that ride, plus Hank woke up sharp and wanted to hammer. Sooooo we went instead to the Lake Forest parking lot to try our first Mafia ride. I was hoping for a super big group. (so I can hide)
We get there and NO RIDE! Apparently it was 'moved' to 7:30. ( oh darn! ) ;)
That is fine with me, I know on rides like that the fast boys sometimes get roudy and start bashing into each other. I had gotten a good dose of boisterous riders yesterday when I did the Harper Ride. Yes, there was a certain person or two that would enter the street first and jump across the street. One guy tried to shove someone onto on coming traffic! NOT COOL!
It seemed they were forgetting to call out things like "TRUCK LEFT!" ..... 30 riders were coming into the road thinking it was CLEAR! gah! Sooo NOT cool. and WATCH those potholes. http://www.harperride.net/ .
Fortunately we have experienced enough riders and the guys seem to find a way to take care of the bad seeds ;) heheh.

I think the driving monotony of the Cicada's constant drone is making the people insane. INSANE!!!!!
Hank and me decided to meet up with the VCR ride since they usually have a good pace and we know the guys are steady, solid riders. It seems that the junction there, at Lake Forest Train station, is a hub of good rides on Sunday morning. Just get there early. Judson, Mafia, VCR and probably other rides are all centered there.
Sure enough, we did an AWESOME pace line. We broke off the B ride and found some strong riders and we did tempo. Forever. We rode steady, strong and even for 30 minutes which turned into 60, then an hour and a half. Hank said the pace line was like a Swiss Watch.
I won't tell you when I finally cracked. It happened. I am sworn to secrecy. Two other guys got out of the pace line too, right after I did....I think they were waiting for the girl to say Uncle first. :) Hank and the other two riders were really going at it to maintain the high pace. It finally got to be just Hank and a Look jersey dude. We all were turning blue at this point. FINALLY we stopped to replenish water at a Barrington drug store. But we had to get back to the car so ...on we went.
It was great. I have not had such a demanding workout in a long time. With temperatures up to 93 degrees and us all running out of water, you could even say it was nearly epic.
Hank and I rode on for almost 4 hours> It was a good quality workout. Its probably a lot better for me than the Mafia ride. Challenging without the attacks.

I suppose any workout can be this good with a power tap and a few strong guys to push you. Very nice. I like being pushed like that. The satisfaction of a ride well done is as good as an accomplished day at the races. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.