June Upshaw's train and race blog

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Wind

I think if I ever got a tattoo. It would either be the Mayan wind god, Kukulcan or the Thunder God of native american lore. I think Kukulcan is that angular snake you see all over Cancun's ruins. The wind swirls and moves with effortless grace, just as a snake glides.

Iowa City Road race is where I learned that the wind is not an enemy. It can be a useful tool. I did not use the wind wisely that day. But I learned a lot.

The strategy behind using the wind in racing can sometimes be key to winning. Hank always takes me around the course of an important race not just to look at where the holes are and the corners, but he mainly discusses the wind. A flat crit can become a playground of attacks and breaks when the wind picks up strong. Where is the best place to attack. Where will the attacks come. Where to move left or right to curb in case you are in the front.
When do you never attack.

I lost that race by misunderstanding the wind. I should have won that one, lost it because I thought I was super woman in the wind. I thought that if I used a hill in a head wind, I could get away far enough that no one could get on my wheel. HA! Me thought WRONG!
Your speed reduces in a head wind. You can't do anything about it. You can hunker down, make yourself small.....it is what it is. I can lose almost ten miles an hour of my speed driving into a 20mph head wind using the same power as a still day. The lighter you are the worse it becomes. I was in a road race in Cannon Falls last year where we had 20 mph head winds with 30 mph gusts, a crash happened within the peleton and the pack split apart instantly. The women that went down, were probably two of the smallest women there and from what I heard, (you know how 'crash rumors' are), they were the ones that went down first. ((why do people on other teams like to tell you if your team mate was part of 'that big crash'.??)) hmmmfh.
I am guessing a gust of wind caused the chain reaction that led to this accident. NO one got hurt but maybe 9-12 women went down and chaos was the result. If you were in the back, you were stuck chasing in scattered packs for miles with little hope of catching the front break. WIND. Teams live for this chaos, they love the wind. WInd will help you stick your break.

In an eschelon, I learned that a person can attack. It is not easy. It can bring everyone with you if you do'nt do it right. It certainly doesnt feel good but it is workable and effective. A cross wind is a good thing for a time trialest. Everyone is feeling the wind the same, gutter them by moving to the curb so no one can draft in your eschelon. If you are in a good spot in the back of an eschelon that is moving fairly well down the road, you can attack from the back but move rapidly to the opposite side of the road away from the leader of the eschelon. This is not as easy to do if there is a double yellow line rule. At the end of a race, you can remember that the double yellow rule is over.

My best attack ever was in Iowa City Road Race. I started the break with a tick of the pedals up a long tall hill. I was on a hill that turned upwards into a long tail wind section. Whoever was with me, made the break. Syd took over and hammered into the tail wind, I was so grateful. I looked around to see who was with and saw two specialized girls, one a wicked sprinter, and another sprinter. "Pace line" I said. We got away. The peleton had some girls try to catch us, but could not rally up enough support and had to settle to be the second pack.

My worst mistake ever was in the very same race. After 30 miles of a break, I got stupid and attacked on a hill into a very strong head wind thru the top of the eschelon, It was less than a mile to the finish line and I figured I could get away if I just distanced myself a little bit. INstead I just rode , dragging the front girl and all the others along with me to the line. ( she was the strongest one there ) ....I then lost the race.
I know in hind site I could have broke away earlier and ridden away in the cross wind. I will have to try that one day.

I swear sometimes I forget I am racing!!!

Bits of lyrics from one of my favorite songs..... John Denver:


Windsong Lyrics(Denver/Henry)

The wind is the whisper of our mother the earth.
The wind is the hand of our father the sky.
The wind watches over our struggles and pleasures.
The wind is the goddess who first learned to fly.
........
the wind is the singer who sang the first song.
...........
The wind is a twister of anger and warning,
the wind brings the fragrance of freshly mown hay.
The wind is a racer, a wild stallion running
and the sweet taste of love on a slow summer's day.
The wind knows the songs of cities and canyons,
the thunder of mountains, the roar of the sea.
The wind is the taker and giver of mornings,
the wind is the symbol of all that is free.
So welcome the wind and the wisdom she offers,
follow her summons when she calls again.
In your heart and your spirit,
let the breezes surround you.
Lift up your voice then and sing with the wind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the technical explanations of racing you give. This is my first season in the sport. I realized after my first crit how much strategy is involved. How cool! Thanks for blogging.
Peace
Jamie Bachmann
Elkhorn Valley Cycling