June Upshaw's train and race blog

Thursday, September 13, 2007

day in a week






Cyclo-cross is about bike handling, getting on and off the bike fast, and accelerating back to speed." -- Don Myrah


Well. I got to try out Hank's jumps yesterday after work. I am QUITE dainty about the whole business. I am sure when the adreniline is kicking in and I have no choice but to JUMP over those jumps or lose the lead or hold onto that wheel..I am sure I"ll pull it off. I do feel a lot better about doing it and CAN do it. I just can't do it very fast yet. or smooth. Hank , of course took to it RIGHT away and was jumping and running like he was born to do it. GRrrrrr! It is just so un-natural for me to dismount while the bike is still moving!
But after looking at the World's cup races and seeing all the mis- haps done by the BEST women in the sport, I can see that this is ONE tough, tough sport.

This gal was in the lead and got her bike caught on a jump. She still podiumed but lost the front spot.


A nice young man came up to us carrying a 6 pack of beer. He asked if he could watch. (no he didn't share the beer!)) He sat down and began his 6 pack as we repeatedly practiced the jumps.

He finally got curious and asked what we were doing. We chatted with him a bit. He was apparently an ex-BMXer and moto-crosser. He gave us some tips that were actually pretty well thought out. Hank was surprisingly very nice to the guy and even agreed with one tip he had. Later Hank said its the only way to talk to a drinking man. a'hem....
The guy said we should use the front brake to flip the bike up and use the bikes' momentum to lift the bike and carry you over the first jump. Not bad. works for me!
It was a beautiful day!

No comments: