
Well. I am interested. This sport is calling to me.
I saw some video's on Biathlon. ((keep in mind I can hardly skate ski yet but its good to have a goal)) Check out the rifle part. (22 caliber) Its designed to be carried and to be snow proofed.
I dont know if I'll ever compete in this but it is something I have always wanted to try.
This article helps describe the sport.
OK I guess its wierd to put a picture of a rifle on my biking blog. haha!! Oh well.
I love to target shoot. Bow and arrow is much more fun though. (and quieter!)
But the biathlon has always been one of my most favorite Olympic sports to watch. Now that I have tried to skate ski I am even more impressed with the athleticism of those who participate in that event.
We went to look at the McMiller park in Wisconsin just shy of the Kettles. It is a target range with a groomed skate ski track. THey let folks practice their biathlon sport there in the early mornings.
It is nice to see that it is offered to the folks wanting to train in this.
BUT....
We decided NOT to skate ski there since there were quite a few local hunter types just target shooting. (no skiiers present). There are just rows and rows and rows of targets to shoot at. A fully groomed nordic trail in the woods. Very nice. I love Wisconsin!!! :)
But , it did make me a little bit nervous to be the only one skiing out there.
It made us realize that ::: ''There Must Be A Reason'' .....
So. Off we went to the main trails of kettle for two days of teaching ourselve the ins and outs of skate skiing. Maybe we were just paranoid .. ..ha!
I am still bike training inside. In March we are going to step it up and get the training in ''full force''. I am really refreshed now after not riding for a while. It is nice for a change after two solid years of hard bike training. (JUST biking). This was healthy mentally and I highly recommend the nordic skiing as a change of pace if you ever feel burnt out with cycling.
NO I do not believe it will make me faster on the bike. Not at all.
Its just something else to do to get outside. (IMO)

1 comment:
skate skiing or any type of skating WILL make you stronger on the bike. :) i should know. .... biking doesn't make your skating stronger.
Post a Comment